Fresh Milky Oat
Regular price $20.00
Unit price per
Fresh tops (milky stage)
Sweet, warm, moist
Nerve restorative, antidepressant, nutritive, demulcent
Nervous, cardiovascular, endocrine
Avena sativa is an extremely useful plant for human affairs. It can be used to make food, medicine, animal feed, alcohol, building material, cover crops, and more. Including oatmeal in the diet can help reduce unwanted cholesterol reducing the risk for cardiovascular disease, add dietary fiber to promote regularity, and increase probiotic population due to its prebiotic beta-glucan content. Used medicinally in extracts, Oatstraw is rich in minerals, especially silica, which support dozens of metabolic processes in the body, most notably in strengthening connective tissue and feeding the nerves.
For only one week out of its growing cycle, the Oat tops produce a milky substance which eventually becomes the nutrient dense grain we commonly use as food. However, a tincture of the Oat tops in the milky stage (Milky Oat) will contain certain flavonoids that provide the most nourishing nerve restorative in the entire herbal materia medica. Taken regularly, people report feeling calm and centered and less reactive to stressors in their lives, without sedating mental faculties. The milk also contains isovitexin which allows our endogenous dopamine to circulate longer in our body, helping us feel more grounded and engaged with our environment.
When the nervous system is depleted beyond its capabilities, a person may experience fatigue, exhaustion, anxiety, depression, insomnia, impotence, and general weakness. This depleted state can even lead to unhealthy or even addictive behaviors in attempts to feel better, even for a short time. Milky oats have long been used to prevent and treat these conditions, as well as low libido, menopausal depression, insufficient lactation, and postpartum symptoms. Its reputation as an aphrodisiac in both men and women is thought to have given rise to the saying sow your wild oats. The effect of increasing circulating dopamine is more recently being studied for cognitive performance. Oat is a gentle, safe and powerful herb that can be used to restore vitality, promote restful sleep, improve cognition, and help us feel more grounded and connected in our lives.
- Acute and Chronic Effects of Green Oat ( Avena sativa) Extract on Cognitive Function and Mood during a Laboratory Stressor in Healthy Adults: A Randomised, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study in Healthy Humans
- Acute effects of a wild green-oat (Avena sativa) extract on cognitive function in middle-aged adults: A double-blind, placebo-controlled, within-subjects trial
- Acute effects of an Avena sativa herb extract on responses to the Stroop Color-Word test
- Chronic effects of a wild green oat extract supplementation on cognitive performance in older adults: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover trial
- Chronic consumption of a wild green oat extract (Neuravena) improves brachial flow-mediated dilatation and cerebrovascular responsiveness in older adults
- Effects of lozenge containing lavender oil, extracts from hops, lemon balm and oat on electrical brain activity of volunteers
- Ingested oat herb extract (Avena sativa) changes EEG spectral frequencies in healthy subjects
- Inhibitory effect of Sejin-Eum I/II on nicotine- and cigarette extract-induced cytotoxicity in human lung fibroblast
- Avena sativa (Oat), A Potential Neutraceutical and Therapeutic Agent: An Overview
* This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
We highly recommend Wildish Botanicals. They've been incredibly kind & efficient in creating tincture supplement prescriptions for our patients. We value their service so much!
Jess Marie Larrain
Portland Clinic of Natural Health